Yeshua, Lao-Tzu, Siddhartha, Rumi, Mirabai, Rabi'a, Hildegard, Francis, Theresa, Black Elk, Ramakrishna, Gandhi, Martin, Cesar, Dorothy, Wangari... (the known voices are greatly outnumbered by the unknown...)
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." -- Mark Twain
This openness to "magic", to the surprise of what might be possible, is the taproot of nonviolence and the vision of Paradise: that Green Sanctuary of Harmlessness that yet haunts the dreams of poets and mystics. Only faith in the genuine possibility of good dwelling within one's "enemy" -- within every "other" -- is cause for hope in Love. Nudging our religions, economics, politics, and cultures closer and closer to policies and practices of Justice, Kindness, and Harmlessness is the work of every 21st century mystic-activist: recognizing that the fate of this precious blue Planet also hangs in the balance should be incentive enough to fully activate one's mind and heart into the soulful life of deepest meaning and purpose.
Thus far, the 21st century is continuing down the perilous path charted by the 20th: the wanton exploitation and destruction of the Earth, the continued theological justifications for oppressing and marginalizing women, and the world-wide epidemic of poverty and violence. This only too obvious "reality" is but a mirror image of the negativity-plague infecting nearly every human mind. Every curse, every judgment, every self-condemnation, every expression of hate, are each and all like sledge-hammers pounding away at our brains: the impact of each "hit" are horrifically damaging and eventually soul-altering: we steadily become that which we hate and loath... But on the "other side" of this reality is Sophia: Wisdom: the Feminine Face of the Holy One: manifesting in the little poor man of India, Mahatma Gandhi.
1. The world has enough for everyone's need, but not for everyone's greed.
2. If we take care of the means, we are bound to reach the end sooner or later.
3. True love is boundless like the ocean and swelling with one, spreads itself out and crossing all boundaries and frontiers, envelops the whole world.
4. The golden rule of conduct is mutual toleration. Toleration gives us spiritual insight, which is far from fanaticism as the north pole from the south.
5. Whatever you do, ask yourself if this will help the poor.
6. As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as in being able to remake ourselves.
7. I know that God is neither in heaven nor down below, but in everyone.
8. I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and nonviolence are as old as the hills.
9. We must be the change we wish to see.
10. Think of all the things that were thought impossible until they happened.
Gandhi Wise: a "map" for personal and Planetary Transformation, and a "talisman" for the possibilities inherent within every human person. A study of the life and message of Gandhi -- and a vigorous daily practice of nonviolence in thought, word, and deed -- steadily calms the "demon temptations" of fear and despair that work their "anti-magic" in our consciences and justify our words and works of darkness. But even more, when one begins to feast on active love, then the full splendor of both humanity and Earth become increasingly evident, and that evidence in turn cultivates imagination and passion for undiscovered possibilities: the nexus of the Divine is in the human heart awakening into Love-without-Limits...
So the Great Wheel of Truth completes its revolution by a return to Sophia: Wisdom: the Divine Mother re-birthing creation into God. The dominator paradigm successfully pushed the un-holy trinity of power, greed, and violence to the fore-front of human consciousness and community: to the point of threatening the extinction of both. Into that maelstrom came the voice of Gandhi who lived as "an experiment of Truth". He continues today to remind us: wisdom is the door to an alternative consciousness and community: and the only way into a future worthy of our children and this beautiful home we call Earth.
How do hear this call?