Core Personalist Principles for Transforming the 21st Century:
1. Love is our highest call as human beings.
2. The person is the highest value.
3. Service to the common good is the responsibility of each one of us.
4. Every institution (economic, political, religious, educational, and cultural) must serve to liberate every person into the fullness of their possibilities.
5. We are all members of one another and so cannot justify leaving anyone behind.
6. The earth belongs to the children, seven generations from now.
7. Reverence for the earth and all life is essential spirituality.
8. "Property, the more common it is, the more holy it becomes." (St. Gertrude)
9. Only social justice can create the conditions necessary for peace to prevail.
10. Authentic revolution and cultural transformation begins and ends with absolute equality between women and men, facilitated by a guaranteed human right of equal access to personal, social, economic, and political power.
Robert Daniel Smith was privileged to serve the homeless and marginalized for 30 years in Salinas, California. Together with his wife, Michelle, they founded an intentional community called the 'Companions of the Way', also in Salinas. Robert and Michelle are community organizers, Catholic Worker renegades, sacred activists, writers, poets, artists, Divine Mother devotees, and practitioners of Kriya Yoga as taught by Rev. Ellen Grace O'Brian of the Center for Spiritual Enlightenment. Michelle is also a Montessori public school teacher. Robert is also an ordained Interfaith Minister.